Tuesday, October 14, 2008

The Single Greatest Literary Conversation of My Life


I had just finished the first page of “Imagine Kissing Pete” from John O’Hara’s Sermons and Soda Water when a sweaty, middle-aged man missing his two front teeth peered around the pole.

"IS THAT A GOOD BOOK?" he asked.

"I'm only on page two." I tried to go back to the reading.

"You know how you can tell if a book is really good? If it grabs you from the first page."

"Yep."

"You know who's a good author? You probably saw the movie. Tom Clancy?"

"I haven't actually seen that one."

"Oh you should. He's good. And Dean Koontz. Stephen King writes some good books, too. Dark Tower, all of that stuff. And man, the books are even better than the movies!"

"They usually are."

"Man, The Godfather? That book was EVEN BETTER."

“Well, The Godfather was a pretty good movie.”*

"And Star Wars? That book was great. William Shatner is a great author!"

He proceeded to tell me about how I should go to Borders and read the books there**, so that I don't have to pay for them. He balked when I mentioned the Library.


*I’ve read The Godfather, and while it made me really, really hungry, I think that the first two Godfather movies are better than the book.

**I actually did that in high school, when I spent my Friday nights as a really cool person at the bookstore, hoping someone I vaguely knew would show up so that I could impress them*** with the fact that I could read an entire book in two hours.

***This never actually worked.

No comments: