Sunday, February 15, 2009

Little Victories














I'm not a comedian. That hasn't stopped me from participating in comedy shows. On Friday, Corey Cohen graciously allowed me to try a new character at Steal This Show. She was a 38-year-old library Aide named Beverly.

I find the mark of a successful character performance is being confused for the character after the show. When I first started doing "Little Jaime" at Bedtime Stories, I was approached by a fellow and his lady friend. She thought I actually was 12, and was concerned that I was drinking a beer. If I recall, I showed her an ID to prove that I was an adult.

Friday night, after a performance which culminated in my hitting on, then spilling a drink on Corey, offering to make casseroles for the gentlemen of the audience, and yelling out a fake phone number while dressed like Lily Tomlin in 9 to 5, a man I had never seen before started hitting on me. When I told him that I wasn't actually 38, he left awkwardly.

Hopefully there won't be any confusion this Wednesday, February 18, when Blaise and I will be performing in Bedtime Stories (now at the Ric Rac) with the help of the lovely Meg Favreau.

No comments: