Thursday, March 19, 2009

What I Have Learned

Some things are hard for me to admit:

1. that I need help
2. that I have parents who aren’t wolves
3. that I have been influenced by other humans

None, however, are more important for you to pay attention to than #3. (Especially ignore 1 and 2.) If there were ever a person who had an influence on my adult mind, it would be Sebastian Agudelo. I followed him through UArts Liberal Arts classes, thorough poetry and prose and cigarette breaks. He is the best teacher that ever taught me anything.

Sebastian, who so bravely and grumblingly did my reading last week, is doing another reading this week, on Friday, at Brickbat Books. You, reader, should go, and you should listen, and you should probably buy his book, because of all the people that ever taught me anything, only two of them have published books*. And even if you won't do it for me, or for Giaco, who will be handing out wine, I hear, do it because the world demands of you some participation, and listening is always the easiest option.


*Do you recall that I mentioned another person? It was Christian TeBordo, who has written a story collection (from which he read last weekend), that is available only through Paper Egg Books. You should also probably get that, because no one else has ever bent the English language to fit the culture as perfectly as he did when he wrote "Tupac-alypse."

No comments: